I’m down to my 3rd baking attempt, in between I tried winging a apple cake recipe by halving all the quantities in the original recipe..Lesson learnt that my cake turned out more like a pudding so here’s my redemption recipe. Martin has a English tradition that every Nov 5th they have a bonfire and since we were also going to celebrate the fact that they officially got a farm why not have cake! We had s’mores as well..hmm marshmallows I love you.
Here’s the recipe that I used (and improved with some spices)
- 3 eggs
- 3 big red apples
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of cardamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- 1-2 cloves
- a pinch of salt
- You can choose to either peel or not to peel the apples, I didn’t because the apples we had were very small and flavour lives there too.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180-200C and have your baking tin already greased or lined with the baking paper.
- Chop them apples up and place into the blender together with the eggs, oil and the cloves. I only put one since Hege said the smell was very strong already. Blend it until smooth then set aside.
- Get all the remaining dry ingredients and make sure that you sift them into the big bowl.
- Combine remainder of your ingredients from the blender and mix them in.
- Pour mixture into your baking tin of choice and pop into oven between 30-40 mins at 180C.
Before baking: Hege did the cake decoration and also suggested to sprinkle some icing sugar and extra cinnamon on the top! Another friend of mine one time added walnuts which was also extra tasty.